Wednesday 22 April 2015

List Tailoring at 750pts - Thoughts?



Not much painting progress sorry as I've been doing more assembly than painting, getting my 3rd Venom and 3rd Ravager assembled ready for the jump to 1k points.

Also had some problems with my airbrush which have delayed me somewhat so haven't managed to get the basecoats on my other Ravagers yet.

-----------------

Tailoring

List tailoring has become a bit of a hot topic in our group of friends the last few days, some say this is how GW wants us to play the game nowadays, and ensures that you bring the right tools for the job, others will say "all comers" lists are much more interesting.

I'm definitely in the all comers camp but have had issues in my last few games with people seeming to have "figured out" my Dark Eldar, meaning that every game I play against, everything is full of flamers.

As you can expect, when my tactic is built around troops in open topped transports, this is NOT FUN.

My last game involved me taking 8D6 hits on my units on the first turn from units of assault marines with 2 flamers in dropping in and toasting my Kabalites/Wyches. When I tried to counter charge with the remaining Wyches, the whole unit died to overwatch fire from flamers.

As I'm sure you'll realise, this leads to games that are... NOT FUN. Wyches, taken for fluff reasons, are rendered absolutely useless as the last thing I want to do is charge into a wall of fire.

So I'm going to give "tailoring" a go tonight and run a list that can hopefully survive against flamers and then give a decent counter punch. I'm still trying to keep it able to deal with a variety of lists but keeping in mind that there is likely to be a flamer around every corner.

This is my 750 list then:

Court of the Archon - Medusae 25pts
Raider with Disintegrator Cannon and Enhanced Aethersails 60pts

5 Kabalite Warriors with Blaster 55pts
Raider with Disintegrator Cannon 55pts

5 Kabalite Warriors with Blaster 55pts
Raider with Disintegrator Cannon 55pts

5 Scourges with Solarite (Warlord) and 4 Haywire Blasters 130pts

Venom 65pts

Ravager with 3 Dark Lances 125pts
Ravager with 3 Dark Lances 125pts

The plan would be to deploy empty transports and the Ravagers to ensure not being wiped Turn 1 by drop podding troops/dreadnoughts, T1 there will be 3 Raiders, 2 Ravagers, and the Venom on the table. 

The Scourges will reserve and likely walk on T2-3 hopefully to add some additional anti armour to the Ravagers.

Kabalites and Medusae reserve and walk on when they come in, embarking into their transports which then get them to where they need to be, hopefully after all pods etc. have landed.

Medusae is there as a cheap HQ option and to try and punish any marines who land too close to my Deployment Zone (Should get into a transport 8" onto the table, then it moves 6" and she can fire out of the far end, with a raider I wouldn't be surprised if this can hit anything in my table half with an AP3 template.

The List doesn't have a massive amount of anti tank, but there is still 8 lances and 4 Haywire Blasters which hopefully at 750pts will be enough.

What do you think of the List?

What thoughts do you have on List Tailoring?

Is the list balanced enough to run as an "all comers" List?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for you input guys - Can I just ask that you keep your comments free from bad language to try and ensure the site is kept family friendly